Evoloution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Anonymous

Evoloution

Post by Anonymous »

Can christians really believe in evoloution and still believe in God?
Because the truth is, How do we evolve from ameba's or apes, who believes this ? Cuz God is our source of existence which means we can't evolve from apes, I never really understood the total meaning of evoloution how it works and were they came up with the conclusion ?
So really i guees i wanna know who believe it, And are there any logical explinations for it?

Susan
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I believe in it but only when it comes to animals. Mostly because the impression Genesis gives me is that they appeared like plants, from one seed, and grew into what they are today.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

I only believe in evolution as far as microevolution.
I do not believe in macroevolution.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Yes, a person can be a Christian and believe in evolution, but his faith will probably we weak. Evolution is (I'd be your life on it) popular because it frees man from the need of God. Also, the Bible specifically says that everything that exists was created by God.
John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
You can't be a Christian who believes in the Bible. You can only say "it's just a story" so many times, before, finally, the entire Bible is a story.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote: You can't be a Christian who believes in the Bible. You can only say "it's just a story" so many times, before, finally, the entire Bible is a story.
Someone who believes that the books of bible are only stories, can not take their faith very serriously or God for that matter, and that would make them non- christians according to his word.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Yes, a person can be a Christian and believe in evolution, but his faith will probably we weak. Evolution is (I'd be your life on it) popular because it frees man from the need of God. Also, the Bible specifically says that everything that exists was created by God.
John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
You can't be a Christian who believes in the Bible. You can only say "it's just a story" so many times, before, finally, the entire Bible is a story.
If your faith rests on 36 verses of creation which you can't even prove they don't support evolution, I don't think you have earned the right to call anybody's faith "weak". You might want to reread what Paul said:

Romans 14:13: Then let us no more pass judgment on one another, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Calling somebody's faith weak because they disagree with your interpretation of Genesis is not something Paul would have approved of.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I'm not judging. If Genesis is only a story, and any reference to 6 days creation is a story...then how can you end up believing that the accounts of Jesus are real and not a story? What stumbling block? What hindrance? :?: :?:

I asked for someone's comment:
by they calling you judgmental has only proven that they themselves are not tolerant of others thoughts. Obviously they have no other theological debate to say that to just call someone else judgmental. (then say how what you said is true. a christians belief revolves around a personal God who created the world as is. If it had evolved the Bible would have said so. Adam being created already mature only shows that the rest of creation was made that way. Just because something is mature does not make it old.)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I'm not judging.
and
Yes, a person can be a Christian and believe in evolution, but his faith will probably we weak.
You were saying? And what exactly is the definition of a "story" to you? Again, you automatically assume that anybody who doesn't take your version of Genesis as absolute truth considers Genesis a "story". Tell me, do you take the entire Bible literally?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

story- usually fictional prose or verse narrative intended to interest or amuse the hearer or reader; a tale
To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration (no)

Law. To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case. (nope)
Obsolete. To pass sentence on; condemn. (naaah)
To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: (nope again)
To determine or declare after consideration or deliberation. (guess not)
Bible. To govern; rule. Used of an ancient Israelite leader.(no once again)
Literally? All the time? No. There are parables in the Bible, and they are very obvious when you find them. Jesus' parables were the easiest to spot as such. Humans aren't obviously seeds. Also, Revelations has some. A voice tells angels to go reap the some grain and the grapes, but I doubt God's interested in the agriculture of dying earth (it is Christians that are being gathered up) The rest of the time? YES! When God says He made the world in 6 days, and when others refer back to God making the world in only 6 days, then yes, I take that one literally....and many others.

Question, how do you decide what's to be taken literal or not? Why do you decide to take Genesis as a story, but you take the things said about Jesus as literal?
tell him that the Word of God is God-breathed, inspired by Him. if its a story why do we even bother to believe Christ even died. tell him that if one part is a freaking story then the whole thing cannot be true. that this was some cruel trick.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I'm not going to say another word unless you apologise for saying I believe Genesis is a story over and over and over, even though I've made it painfully clear that is not the case. And having a different interpretation than you do does not qualify as me considering it a "story".
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

If you don't the beginning of Genesis literally, (6 days, God made everything perfectly formed) what does the beginning of Genesis become to you? It becomes a story...and I'm not saying you think it's a lie, I mean story as in Little Red Riding Hood-it's meant to teach something to someone who wouldn't understand it if explained well (don't talk to strangers). I'm sorry I broke your heart.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Except Genesis says nothing on whether there were six literal days or not. You have already presented your reasoning for why you think it does, and me along with most people here have shown why we think it speaks of a long creation time. Again, you assume your interpretation is correct because the bad translation of genesis is in the KJV along with some of the other bibles. Not all of the bible translations tell of a literal six day creation period.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Chapter 2:2 says on THE (you got onto the a day thing, pointing out THE THE) seventh day. And, I don't use KJV, I use NASB. And, go to the source. I asked my teacher, and out of the three words for day that could have been used, only the word that meant 24 hour period was used. Then, I pasted several verses where people refer to the 6 days of creation.
For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them ... (Exodus 20:11)
I could keep on finding verses in other parts of the Bible that say 6 days...but you probably wouldn't listen.
Gap theorists miss the importance of Christ's words in Mark 10:6, “But from the beginning of creation, God made them [Adam and Eve] male and female.” Christ knew that Adam and Eve were created at the beginning, not after a vast gap of time.
According to most versions of the gap theory, the death and destruction shown by the fossil record, including the death of supposedly pre-Adamic man, preceded Adam's creation. But the Bible clearly states that death came because of (therefore, after) Adam.
http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebo ... #wp1913968

Listen to someone with a degree.
Last edited by AttentionKMartShoppers on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The word used was Yom which is not limited to 24 hours. Your teacher either lied or has no idea. It saying the seventh day only counts if they said the for all of them. The seventh day could mean anything in my version. I don't care what people thought it meant back then, it doesn't make their opinion any more true than the opinion of the creator of this site.

Now you tell me how can plants and animals fill the Earth on their own in 2 days if God said "let them grow and multiply". It never says anything about God speeding up the process or doing anything other than to give the command to grow. It clearly states animals and plants took over the earth on their own under God's watchful eye.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Me talking do a dead person would have as much effect. So you're now insulting my teacher. She's very learned-how much, I don't know, never asked. God didn't make just one of every plant an animal, I guess you're assuming that?