Song of Solomon

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Song of Solomon

Post by Nessa »

Just wanted to know what you guys thought of this book in the bible.

Do you think its just about marriage or also parallels Christ and His relationship with His bride?
Last edited by Nessa on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Re: Song of Solomon

Post by Nessa »

◄ Song of Solomon 4:2 ►

Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn, coming up from the washing. Each has its twin; not one of them is alone y:D

Thats how kiwis flirt with their spouses :P
Last edited by Nessa on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

Its a love song, we may draw parallels out of it, but I doubt it was written with the church in mind.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

neo-x wrote:Its a love song, we may draw parallels out of it, but I doubt it was written with the church in mind.
What makes you come to that conclusion? Didnt Lewis see parallels with the church?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I am saying you may draw out of it today, the parallels, but the question to ask is, when Solomon was writing it down, was it the church he was thinking about?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

neo-x wrote:I am saying you may draw out of it today, the parallels, but the question to ask is, when Solomon was writing it down, was it the church he was thinking about?
Well if you believe the bible is inerrant and inspiried by the HS then all the possible meanings and parallels would already be there from the beginning
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

:popcorn:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

neo-x wrote:I am saying you may draw out of it today, the parallels, but the question to ask is, when Solomon was writing it down, was it the church he was thinking about?
Of course he wasn't thinking about the church. God hadn't yet revealed that he would establish the church. But God inspired the writers of the Bible and as a result their writings often had meanings they weren't aware of.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

http://www.evogenesis.com/blog/1888-waking-up.html

Song of Solomon is known as the rated R book but I found this and thought it was interesting about Song of Solomon.

Waking Up!

Thinking about thinking

http://www.evogenesis.com/blog/1883-thi ... nking.html
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

theophilus wrote:
Of course he wasn't thinking about the church. God hadn't yet revealed that he would establish the church. But God inspired the writers of the Bible and as a result their writings often had meanings they weren't aware of.
Well let's just say there is no other way to justify its presence in the canon except the allegorical anthropomorphic reading of the text. The Hebrews read it as a love discourse between God and Israel and, mind you, it is from there where the christian church took its meaning too, except they replaced Israel with the church.

Also if this was a book about church and the God, why then do the entire new testament never once refers to it or from it. It is in fact not even mentioned once, nor by the gospels nor by the apostles.

To further my point, if it was about the church and God then the apostles and even Christ would refer to it in the N.T, since the gospels and the epistles both tirelessly refer to the O.T again and again, trying to prove to the Jewish audience of the Messiah in the O.T and yet they completely skip this book which, according to you is entirely comprised of Christ and the church, having no other meanings, theological or otherwise.

Doesn't that sound strange to you?

Not to put too fine a point on it, there are no scriptural grounds to say that the song is an allegory between Christ and the church.

You could call it that if you like as many do, but its a baseless speculation which has no warrant in scripture.

without.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Doesn't
Paul himself make comparisons between marriage and Christ and the Church?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

He does and yet never once quotes from the Song of Solomon to say, "hey you know its been prophesied" or "it was written so its fulfilled now"?

It is not that I reject that the church being the bride of Christ, my point if you think about it is that the song of Solomon is not about Christ and the church.

without.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

neo-x wrote:He does and yet never once quotes from the Song of Solomon to say, "hey you know its been prophesied" or "it was written so its fulfilled now"?

It is not that I reject that the church being the bride of Christ, my point if you think about it is that the song of Solomon is not about Christ and the church.
So its just some spicy, romantic book thrown in there to help balance out the more boring bits of the bible? y:-/
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

It seems "spicy" to you in the modern context of today, in times old, literature like that was probably a good wedding song.

And if not that how else do you suppose this christian-church-love-book was never once quoted by the apostles seemingly more so since according to you, it directly talks about Christ and his church, in the old testament? I mean its too good to skip over and yet the apostles quote from books right and left of it but leaves this particular book untouched, not even mentioning it once.

Further what scriptural basis you have to say it talks about Christ or the church? Feel free to list any.

:wave:

without.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »