what is our purpose?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Deborah
Christian: No

what is our purpose?

Post by Deborah »

What do you think our purpose is?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

To become perfect.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Perhaps our purpose is to promote god in our communities.
There are many ways thsi can be done than insigate an interest in god, and I don't mean bible bashing, If we live our lives in the light of God then the light will reflect on our lives and others will become currious and enquire to the nature of God. God says he wants people to come to god by themselves, so all we really need to do is plant the interest by living our lives in the way that god planned them to be lived.
But first we need to accept that God choose us, god is not something we take on, god is the center of all things living.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

To become perfect.
God's greatest commandments+last words:

Love your neighbor as yourself
Love God with all your mind, body, soul, strength (everything)
Preach the Gospel, even unto the ends of the earth (start at home, though, is what He says)[/quote]
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

God does not wants hypocrites preaching his word, he wants his children to live as his word instructs.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

God does not wants hypocrites preaching his word, he wants his children to live as his word instructs.
I'm taking that as a personal insult until told otherwise.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

our purpose is to bring glory to GOD
To become perfect.
how can a fallen being become perfect (while still in the fallen form)
when we accept Jesus as our savior, he covers over our sins with his blood. We can do nothing to become perfect, if we could become perfect, then we would not need Christ to come and die on the cross and be resurrected. If we could become perfect, then adam's fall wouldn't have affected us.

Romans 5:12-14
12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.
(NIV)

12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- 13for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
(NASB)

12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned-- 13(For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
(NKJV)

(Many different translations same meaning)
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
I'm taking that as a personal insult until told otherwise.
It means he doesn't want people preaching his word who don't live the way he intended them to live. before we preach his word we need to live it. People who speak his word to others but don't live the word are hypocrites. These hypocrites are the reason christians are hated.

Best way for us to represent our god is to live as he intended us to live.
Jesus did not go banging on doors, when he spoke people flocked to him, why because he lived as god intended, why because he was gods human form. What he did drew people to him, he did not have to search for people, whereever he went crowd would form to listen with interest.
Bilble says something like live as jesus did, if we can do this perhaps the same will happin, people will be drawn to us to learn about the creater.

If I had wanted to make an insult I would come straight out with it, but I don't. I don't understand how you could see it as an insult.

Seems pretty straight foward to me.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

paxChristos wrote:our purpose is to bring glory to GOD
agreed
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

more added on to mine, just to annoy everyone
The way (that i believe, correct me if im wrong) that we bring glory to GOD is by living his will. We can try as hard as we can to not sin, but being human, we are bound to fail at some time. (if you believe in the total depravation of man) On the other hand if you believe that man is not totally deprived (for those of you who don't know total deprivation means that we are corrupt at birth by sin) you agree with Pelagius (a fifth century heretic) who's teachings are in line with alot of the stuff that armenians believe. (Free will, not total deprivation, Man does something to reach salvation) Anywho, the point (do i even have a point?) iamb trying to get across is, our purpose is to bring glory to GOD through following his will. Herein lies one of the major problems of evolution (a comparison), with out a GOD, you lose the reason for life. You have nothing to look forward to (or dread if you are unsaved) when you die. Its pointless, life is pointless, love (which every can talk about, but no one can define) is pointless, school is pointless, even this discussion is pointless. We see there is no hope but in Christ alone. He (and GOD) give propose to even the smallest thing we do, everything has meaning and everything has a reason, but we may not see it
-paxChristos
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I was being humorous-I didn't think too strongly that was against me. (that's right though, practice what you preach)
fedexguy
Acquainted Member

Post by fedexguy »

our purpose is to bring Glory to God. If we accept the Gospel we will bring glory by being changed through His good work for us who are unable to work good. If we reject the Gospel then we bring glory to God by exhibiting the perfect justice of a Holy God. I guess the main question is how will you declare the Glory of God, is it not. A small note about Pelagianism, just because you do not follow the five points of Extreme Calvinism does not put you in the category of a Pelagian. If you are saved it is by God is an absolute but the details are very much up to debate and I am not going to assassinate anothers character based on a perhaps faulty understanding of the method of his salvation. Please check our hearts God when we are so unforgiving of others mistakes or errors while we so gladly receive the forgiveness of the Almighty to whom we are all guilty of trespassing.
entity
Acquainted Member

Post by entity »

It means he doesn't want people preaching his word who don't live the way he intended them to live. before we preach his word we need to live it. People who speak his word to others but don't live the word are hypocrites. These hypocrites are the reason christians are hated.
If sinners decided not to preach God's word until they stopped sinning, then would God's word ever get out? Who would preach the Word? We are all sinners.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

I think I have to agree with striving for perfection, a la "Be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect." It's really a catch-all. If you're striving for perfection, you'll get all the other stuff you're supposed to be doing thrown in with it.

Bring glory to God - included.
Love God - included.
Love your neighbor - included.
Spread the Gospel - included.
Don't lie, steal, or murder - included.
Enjoy all the stuff God has given us to enjoy in the way that He intended us to enjoy it - included.
Be diligent and hardworking, but not a busibody - included.
And so on...

Of course, we can't live up to that in our own power. But if we continually say yes to Jesus and no to everything that opposes Him(including ourselves if need be), then He'll make us a little bit closer to that perfection every day, and one day He will complete the work which He has begun. He promised it, and so it is.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
To become perfect.
God's greatest commandments+last words:

Love your neighbor as yourself
Love God with all your mind, body, soul, strength (everything)
Preach the Gospel, even unto the ends of the earth (start at home, though, is what He says)
Could this have been said of Pharoah? What was Pharoah's purpose?

Romans 9:17
"For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”"

How about the wicked of Proverbs 16:4?

Proverbs 16:4
"The LORD has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom."

God only has one purpose, and that is to do whatever pleases Him.

Psalm 115:3
"But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases."

Daniel 4:35
"All the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; He does according to His will in the army of heaven And among the inhabitants of the earth. No one can restrain His hand Or say to Him, “What have You done?”"