How well do you pray?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
reamnosha
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

How well do you pray?

Post by reamnosha »

How do you pray ? How is your prayer ?

Please reply
Vergil
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How well do you pray?

Post by Vergil »

reamnosha wrote:How do you pray ? How is your prayer ?

Please reply
I just pray, it's like talking to God
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
reamnosha
Newbie Member

Post by reamnosha »

I have a problem , I still think that my prayer is weak, worthless
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Please reply
I pray when I remember of it (so no strict schedule). My prayer consists of talking to God as if I am talking to a really close person. Often, if not always, I try to find out what His answer would be, but I realize I can't know for sure. I think about stuff around me, ask God if this is how He had planned it and then waiting for an answer. Since there is no answer (haha), I try to answer it myself and it goes on.
Other times, I remember of a person and tell Him to take care of that person. Then I remember I should think of other people (both in particular and in general) so I do that, as well...
All of that usually lasts from 30 seconds to 30 minutes (sometimes an hour, and if you count as prayer the part where you do not talk to God but are being (self-)aware and are (self-)analyzing situations, people, phenomenon then I am praying A LOT longer :mrgreen: ).
You see, I see no sense in repeating a prayer (Our Father who art in heaven, etc). This is my praying: (Self-)awareness, (self-)analysis and talking to a close friend, asking Him stuff and hoping for an answer... Oh, also, thinking about the answers. More like, thinking about situations and phenomenons that happened to me (whether afterwards or immediately after the situation) and thinking if they are a coincidence or God had some, or a lot of impact on them.

Also, check out my similar(exact? :mrgreen:) thread: (http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =3&t=40759)
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Vergil wrote:

Please reply
I just pray, it's like talking to God
I do it all the time, always have.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

It's not a matter of how Well a person prays. When I was growing up, various men in the church congregation would be asked to open or close the service with prayer. And mostly they would be very serious prayers -- well thought out and such. And just lately, there's been a group I'd heard about that meets once a month made up of women. Then is when I Again heard some really warm prayers. It was quite refreshing.

Every so often we hear about someone being a 'real prayer warriar' and I wonder what makes a person become known as such. It's almost like they have an especially close relationship with God. And I wonder Why. Because we All have access to God through prayer. We are to take our requests to God because He Is our heavenly Father. And we All have access to God through Jesus Christ.

A lot of churches/ people use Form prayers / The Lord's Prayer / which is Beautiful is an example. But don't let that substitute for our own personal praying / talking with / to God about Everything. Cause He wants relationship with us.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

As long as you pray with your heart, God will consider it as a Prayer, you don't need to do something fancy, just do the sign of the cross, say "In nomine patre, et fili, et espritu sancti, amen", and TALK to God.

Pray is also a means on communicating with God, just talk to him, tell him of your triumphs, your defeats, and just plain out like talking with your best friend, you can laugh with God, cry with God, and do great things with God.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

reamnosha wrote:I have a problem , I still think that my prayer is weak, worthless
Why so? How do you pray?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

@reamnosha -- If I may ask? Have you accepted Christ as your Savior? And I don't mean to sound like I'm 'in your face' -- I'm simply concerned. And sometimes when life throws us a 'loop' we find ourselves blaming God for whatever happened. We tend to loose confidence in God's ability To hear and answer our prayers. And That is when we need Him the Most.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

reamnosha wrote:I have a problem , I still think that my prayer is weak, worthless
How do you pray?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Is it possible that our worst prayers could actually be our best prayers?
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Nessa wrote:
Is it possible that our worst prayers could actually be our best prayers?
Hmmm, quite possibly, to God, there is no worst but the word Best in his vocabulary
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

@ Vergil -- would you explain / translate the phrase you used. Thanks.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I suppose the best way to pray is to just pray. Or take a page from Jesus' book. During His ministry on Earth, Jesus would pray for hours on end, up into the night, and sometimes even throughout the night.

The point of prayer is to strengthen your bond with God, and the purpose of life is to attain a relationship with God. So prayer is paramount,

I feel. It's kind of like exercise: you're already doing better than all the other people who are still stuck on their couches at home because you're up and doing something. Just pray.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

crochet1949 wrote:@ Vergil -- would you explain / translate the phrase you used. Thanks.
What do you mean? explain what?
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley