Stories

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Stories

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I've tried this before, but that thread ran into an iceberg and sank (try try again). Evolution, contrary to popular belief, is based on stories, "what if," theories, and flat out lies. What are some that you know of? One of my favorite is the Oort Belt, which was made up to explain the existance of comets by making up a nursery of comets sitting in a warehouse that encircles our solar system, about 1/5 the distance towards the nearest star. This story was made up to explain why we still see comets, which after millions of years (not to mention billions) should have been obliterated by now.

:roll: This thread'll work out well, I know it. :roll:
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

What does comets have to do with evolution?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

*Hops onto lifeboat since this thread's already sunk.*

Well, as you know, evolution needs billions of years...but after billions of years, there shouldn't be comets left, since they would have burned up or HIT SOMETHING REALLY BIG (maximum lifespan of a comet is ballparked at around 13,000 years).

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
August
Old School

Post by August »

I don't buy evolution either, but you are trying to disprove old creation here, not evolution. The science around evolution is weak enough on its own, it does not need to be disproved by the age of the universe.

Just as I thought we were making some progress as well, you persist in your young earth view. :)

Good luck in that lifeboat, stormy waters coming.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

God word says prove all things. 1Th 5:21 Prove all things, hold fast to the good. and look into it. Jam 1:25 But whoever looks into the perfect Law of liberty and continues in it, he is not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work. This one shall be blessed in his doing. also it tells us to exercise our senses Heb 5:14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, even those who because of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
his word tells us to grow in knowledge 2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace and in knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

How can we prove creation took only 6 earthly days?
There is not any proof of this. God asks us to search for the truth, check it and keep checking. But there is proof that Creation took millions of years.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

No, not necessarily going after old earth creationists. I currently hold the view that comets were created by the Flood, a recent event, so you're safe from comets.

*Lifeboat sinks* :roll:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

You tempt me to say this, so I will. I asked a Jewish girl I know, she goes to Jew school (don't ask) and I'm guessing learns the language and other stuff. Anyways, I asked her what version of day was used in Genesis 1, and she said yom, 24 hour period.

*Anchor line wraps around left leg* :roll: :roll:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

then where is the proof to back this up, god said search for the truth therefore if it is truth is must be here.

and I am sorry but those people did not even reconize their own god when he came to earth in Human form *sigh*
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:... she goes to Jew school (don't ask)...
:lol: this really made me laugh.

Kurieuo.

PS. I'll see if I can get a helicopter to try save you from drowning. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sighs. :roll:

So a Jewish schoolgirl is your source of expertise on this issue? OK. She knows more than the theologists who actually study this? What was your comment again about listening to someone with a degree?

"In spite of the fact that many find these arguments convincing proof of six successive twenty-four-hour days of Creation, the case is less than definitive for several reasons.
The Normal Meaning of the Word “Day” (Yom)
It is true that most often the Hebrew word yom (day) means “twenty-four hours.” However, this is not definitive for its meaning in Genesis 1 for several reasons.
First, the meaning of the term is not determined by a majority vote but by the context in which it is used. It is not important how many times it is used elsewhere but how it is used here.
Second, even in the Creation story in Genesis 1-2, “day” (yom) is used of more than a twenty-four hour period. Speaking of the whole six days of Creation Genesis 2:4 refers to it as “the day” (yom) when all things were created.
Third, and finally, yom is elsewhere used of long periods of time as in Psalm 90:4, which is cited in 2 Peter 3:8: 'A day is like a thousand years.'"
Dr. John F. Ankerberg, Graduate of the University of Illinois, B.A., 1968,
Graduate of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School with Master of Arts in Church History and Philosophy of Christian Thought, 1972, Graduate of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School with Master of Divinity degree, 1973 (Graduating with high academic honors in both degrees.) Attended Bethel Theological Seminary, Saint Paul, MN, completing course work for Doctor of Ministry program 1977 and 1978. Transferred to Luther Rice Seminary, Jacksonville, FL, graduating with Doctor of Ministry degree, 1990
Ordained Baptist minister and former pastor.

AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Screw it, I'm never making a thread again, nobody stays on topic for even one post.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Will the great moderators please delete my off-topic-from-the-beginning-thread?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
August
Old School

Post by August »

Why don't you start one about young earth vs old earth, guaranteed to stay on topic. :lol:

Don't get all worked up now, we can't have a decent conversation if we don't understand each others presuppositions.

Deborah

Post by Deborah »

With all your waffle it's hard to know what the topic was :shock:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Yeah but the theme of the thread has been ignored from the beginning, it turned into OEC vs YEC at the beginning *smashes head against wall.* :| OK, I had to click view more emoticons, so I could see two lame emoticons? :roll:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous