Did it Rain before the Flood

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Did it Rain before the Flood

Post by bizzt »

YEC's generally claim it did not as per Scripture Genesis 2:5 & 6.
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member

Post by Joel Freeman »

Wouldn't Genesis 2:6 go against that?

Gen 2:6 but there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

This is before the Flood. This is before man was even created.

In the next verse man was made.

Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Joel Freeman wrote:Wouldn't Genesis 2:6 go against that?

Gen 2:6 but there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

This is before the Flood. This is before man was even created.

In the next verse man was made.

Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
I think what they are trying to get at is that the Mist came from the Earth not from the Sky?
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member

Post by Joel Freeman »

Well that's the water cycle isn't it? Water evaprates from the ground and forms clounds, then comes back down as rain. That's what it sounds like it's reffering to.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Joel Freeman wrote:Well that's the water cycle isn't it? Water evaprates from the ground and forms clounds, then comes back down as rain. That's what it sounds like it's reffering to.
Hmmm that is interesting actually I never thought of it that way... I always thought they meant the Mist comes from the earth and then waters the ground but if the mist comes from the Earth then Falls from the Clouds...
Thnx
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Gentlemen;...it's called the cycle of evaporation. Rain is formed from the condensation that is in the air (The humidity). The condennsation comes from lakes, rivers, ponds and so forth. Collects in the clouds. When the clouds are heavy and can't contain the amount of condensation that it has collected;...it rains.

Why does your mirror get foggy? The condensation in the air from the shower which is called relative humidity.

Before the flood, it never rained. They thought that Noah was crazy. They never heard of a flood. I believe that in 2 Peter, it says that Noah was a preacher.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Poetic_Soul wrote:Gentlemen;...it's called the cycle of evaporation. Rain is formed from the condensation that is in the air (The humidity). The condennsation comes from lakes, rivers, ponds and so forth. Collects in the clouds. When the clouds are heavy and can't contain the amount of condensation that it has collected;...it rains.

Why does your mirror get foggy? The condensation in the air from the shower which is called relative humidity.

Before the flood, it never rained. They thought that Noah was crazy. They never heard of a flood. I believe that in 2 Peter, it says that Noah was a preacher.
Can you give me Scriptural Reference? Why do you think it did not rain?
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I can't honestly say that it never rained. This is just my assumption and theory. The Bible teaches that before the flood a canopy of water (firmament) surrounded the earth. This canopy is mentioned in Gen. 1:6&7, Psalms 148:4 and II Peter 3:5. The Creation Account in Genesis 1 records that a mist that went forth and watered the face of the whole ground. Genesis mentions no other precipitation until the flood brought rain for 40 days and 40 nights. Many people teach that rain never fell before the flood. Although that is probably true, it cannot be taught dogmatically because the Bible simply does not mention the subject. Possibly if the canopy of water mentioned in Genesis 1:6 and 7 increased the air pressure, as many think it did, rain would probably not fall.

It may be that Noah was preaching that rain would come out of the sky (something that had never happened), and the people laughed just like today when Christians preach that Jesus will come out of the sky (something that has never happened) to catch up all believers in Christ (See Matthew 24:37, Luke 17:26 and I Thess 4:16).
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Uh, Genesis 2:6 can't be rain b/c in Genesis 2:5 it says "...for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground." So, obviously the "mist from the ground" can't be rain when it specifically states that it hasn't rained yet.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The bible does not teach about a canopy of water, simply because the firmament and "the waters above" are both mentioned way after genesis. The firmament the sky and everything in it if I remember correctly..
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Were you talking to me? B/c I never said anything about a canopy of water in this topic.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

The bible does not teach about a canopy of water, simply because the firmament and "the waters above" are both mentioned way after genesis. The firmament the sky and everything in it if I remember correctly..
It says in Genesis that God separated the waters with an expanse. And if something about Creation is mentioned outside of Genesis, is it somehow irrelevant?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
It says in Genesis that God separated the waters with an expanse. And if something about Creation is mentioned outside of Genesis, is it somehow irrelevant?
There is no canopy of water right now, thus it must've been destroyed eventually(assuming it existed). Logically, it would've been destroyed in the flood, and thus wouldn't be mentioned outside of Genesis.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Kmart, the ancients referred to the sky as "the waters above" long after the flood. If that expanse had been removed and the waters above fell back on earth then the post flood people wouldn't still be talking about the waters above now would they? The waters above is simply their term for "space" and nothing more.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
Kmart, the ancients referred to the sky as "the waters above" long after the flood. If that expanse had been removed and the waters above fell back on earth then the post flood people wouldn't still be talking about the waters above now would they? The waters above is simply their term for "space" and nothing more.
B/c the sky is blue and thus looks like water to them?