Jesus and His Tattoo Debate

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Anonymous

Jesus and His Tattoo Debate

Post by Anonymous »

I know that this is an issue when it comes to Christians getting a tattoo. A lot of people will say no and others will say, "Sure, Jesus has one on His thigh."

When people say no, the quote Leviticus 19:28
Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on youselves. I am the Lord.
When they quote that, they also happen to over look the verse right before it
Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
Then if we look at Revelation 19:16 it says
On His robe and on His thigh He has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
People debate if that was an actual tattoo or if it was just written on there. What do you guys think? Thanks

Matt
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I'd say get the tattoo bro. We are saved by grace and through the blood not by circumcision and works. We are not surpose to eat swine but Peter was allowed.
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member

Post by Joel Freeman »

Poetic_Soul wrote:I'd say get the tattoo bro. We are saved by grace and through the blood not by circumcision and works. We are not surpose to eat swine but Peter was allowed.
I absolutely agree. I've been planning on getting a tattoo for a while. I'm gonna get one the day I turn 18 with my brother.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

that quote from leviticus is not what i actually read. there is no mention of the word "tatoos". basically, you can't cut up your bodies for symbols of the dead(i assume it was some sort of necromantic ritual, but we don't know). This is what we're not supposed to cut ourselves for, it says nothing about any other types of tatoos.
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

My constant struggle had been down-playing myself & up-playing Christ...when it comes to attention. This applies to ear rings, dress style etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Poetic_Soul wrote:I'd say get the tattoo bro. We are saved by grace and through the blood not by circumcision and works. We are not surpose to eat swine but Peter was allowed.
Are you referring to the dream where Peter sees the sheet of unclean food come down? That was God saying he could go speak to the unclean (gentiles).
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re:

Post by jenna »

Please re-read the verse where Peter was allowed to eat swine. He wasn't. This verse was not actually talking about what types of food man can eat.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re:

Post by jenna »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Are you referring to the dream where Peter sees the sheet of unclean food come down? That was God saying he could go speak to the unclean (gentiles).
Yes, thank you. I had responded also, but couldn't exactly remember what it was referring to. I guess I need to do a little more research before I respond next time.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Jesus and His Tattoo Debate

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Okay,

as Christians, we are free to do as we see fit as long as we do not break any law. So, a tatoo is OK if you want one...but why would anyone want to brand themselves as if they were cattle???

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +