How can you distinguish the story of Adam from a fairy tale?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Phoenix
Familiar Member

How can you distinguish the story of Adam from a fairy tale?

Post by Phoenix »

This question was posed by an atheist on another site. Essentially they want to know how we consider the creation of Adam (or all Bible stories) as real but fairytale stories of Pinocchio are considered fiction.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

oh, not this pinocchio/santa claus thing again... :lol:

http://www.carm.org/atheism/santa.htm

Anyway, why do we believe in it? Well, it's because the Bible has proved to be reliable on dozens of other questions, and it has never been proven wrong. And because of this, and because it claims to be the inerrant word of God, we should believe it.

By the way.. how can we know that the atheists' beliefs are nothing but fairytales? I enjoy fairytales, but the Story of Natural Selection is a bit too childish for me I think... :wink:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Well archaeological evidence is this-Sumerian seal (oldest or one of the oldest known civilizations) has a man and woman looking/reaching out to a tree, with a snake in it....

Then, of course, if Genesis is a story, then it wasn't Adam who brought death into the world. Which asks the question, what was Jesus here for? I hate that I can't find the verses that pop into my head in fragments....

Romans 5:6-21
For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Sorry, but it all looked good, because it said the same thing...Jesus came to undo what Adam did.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: How can you distinguish the story of Adam from a fairy t

Post by Kurieuo »

Phoenix wrote:This question was posed by an atheist on another site. Essentially they want to know how we consider the creation of Adam (or all Bible stories) as real but fairytale stories of Pinocchio are considered fiction.
Perhaps the wrong question is being asked, as an examination of Christianity should begin with Christ and His words. So what are his thoughts on Christ, and why?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Phoenix
Familiar Member

Post by Phoenix »

He doesn't say, he just keeps asking why do Christians believe what the Bible says, but not Greek Mythology.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

Phoenix wrote:He doesn't say, he just keeps asking why do Christians believe what the Bible says, but not Greek Mythology.
Tell him when understands what Christ did and why, only then will he begin to know why it makes so much more sense than mythology.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Who says greek myths are bs? ;)
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

:? well, because the story of adam and eve is based on fact. scientists still can't figure out what makes our bodies die...even they agree we should live forever. so, the fact that our deaths are explained by adam/eve bringing sin into the picture, is a perfectly logical explanation/answer. are any greek/roman myths based so closely in reality/fact/science?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Their creation myth is.

I'll try to reproduce what it sounds like:

"And there was a formless chaos. And from the chaos two Gods were ripped: Uranus, the sky, and Gaia, the earth. And Uranus embraced Gaia, and they became lovers..."

Gaia is the earth and Uranus is our atmosphere. I'm not too familiar with planet creation, but I'd imagine the process described would be similar, given the terminology restrictions. In addition, the greeks also had a world flood and believed the first man was made out of the dirt of the ground by the titan Prometheus.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

while these stories parallel the bible's creation stories, they later give themselves away as myth by deviating from natural scientific law, logic, fact. the bible continues in its consistency to modern day scientific knowledge.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Pinnochio hasn't been reinforced by archaeology, and modern technology used today, people who can't differentiate between the Bible and Disney need to take those blinders off.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Pinnochio was written explicitly as a story. Of course, an atheist usually has difficulty reading comic books or enlightening literature like "Goldilocks" so I'm not surprised.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?