Pokemon--What exactly is wrong with it?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Lavenderfire
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Pokemon--What exactly is wrong with it?

Post by Lavenderfire »

Okay. Here I go. (I worked up a lot of courage to do this...so....)

I've read about how people think Pokemon is so bad and stuff like that. My question is: What's wrong with it, exactly? I've played it, and it's pretty cool! I like it! It's great that you all have your own opinions, but this is my question: How's it related to Satan, exactly?

Can someone clear this up for me?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Rich wrote an article to do with this topic at http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/pokemon.html. There are many non-Christian beliefs that seem to be incorporated into Pokemon that I believe Christians should be aware of. As to Christians who enjoy watching the cartoon and/or playing the game, well I think the risk of being influenced (consciously or sub-consciously) by non-Christian beliefs is lowered dramatically if they understand what they are. Usually when people love something, they tend to want certain related things to be true, and so they will gravitate towards those beliefs to do with the thing they love. I believe this is the danger to the Christian, especially one who is unaware to the non-Christian beliefs incorporated into Pokemon.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Lavenderfire
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by Lavenderfire »

I've read that article, and I don't see what's wrong with it, especially the psychic and the ghost type. Kadabra and Haunter. Kadabra=Psychic type, and Haunter=Ghost type. I don't mean to offend anyone, but do you Christians have something against the Psychic type and the Ghost type? I've seen many articles discussing Kadabra and Haunter, and they're the only 2 Pokemon they mention specifically. I don't see any other type mentioned. Are the Psychic and Ghost Pokemon something bad and wrong or something?

About evolution: When Pokemon evolve, they merely grow up. Just like people do. People sort of evolve as they get older. We change our appearances as we get older, as well as our personalities. That's what Pokemon moreorless do, they just get older and change.
ray
Recognized Member

Pokemon

Post by ray »

There are some good articles at this website about Pokemon and Christianity.

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/pokemon.html

Ray
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

It's basically a form of subliminal messaging, because if you know what the game is teaching, you are in no danger of being caught up in that crap...but most people don't. It's kinda like a game some teachers have been reported playing with students. They will tell the Genesis account of creation, and then have students make up their own account...and what is this telling them subconsciously? That the Genesis account is nothing but a fanciful story. But, if you know that, it won't affect you.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:It's basically a form of subliminal messaging, because if you know what the game is teaching, you are in no danger of being caught up in that ****...
The subliminal thing is pretty much exactly what I was trying to hit upon. Many Christians, and this issue is really only applicable to Christians who desire to follow after Christ, may not be consciously aware of the non-Christian beliefs within something like Pokemon (or Harry Potter even). Yet if they really like such things, than issues within such things such as magic and occultic practices are bound to become more palatable. This is the danger, and I believe it a logical danger. You might say it's not Pokemon that is bad, but a naive believer open to the non-Christian "subliminals" I think is bad.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Harry Potter? Do expand, as the occultic overtones whack me in the face, but what about the undertones?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous