what are best arguments/evidence for Christianity?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
nickelig
Newbie Member
Christian: No

what are best arguments/evidence for Christianity?

Post by nickelig »

I was wondering, as a Christian who is new to trying to convert atheists, what are some of the best ways to talk to someone who doubts the integrity of the Bible? Perhaps certain prophecies from the Old Testament?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: what are best arguments/evidence for Christianity?

Post by Kurieuo »

nickelig wrote:I was wondering, as a Christian who is new to trying to convert atheists, what are some of the best ways to talk to someone who doubts the integrity of the Bible? Perhaps certain prophecies from the Old Testament?
I've personally never seen this approach work, unless the person is already quite open to Christianity. You are perhaps better off focusing on the centre of Christianity, which is Christ. For such a task I'd recommend the book, The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
j316
Established Member

Re: what are best arguments/evidence for Christianity?

Post by j316 »

nickelig wrote:I was wondering, as a Christian who is new to trying to convert atheists, what are some of the best ways to talk to someone who doubts the integrity of the Bible? Perhaps certain prophecies from the Old Testament?
I would point out to someone how incredibly interconnected the bible is. In the beginning you have references to events to come, in the end you have events that have happened and more events to come and they are all related to one event that hadn't happened when the first books were written. It is almost like looking into a mind and to me it could not have been designed and executed by human beings. If you see how the prophecies interwoven into the stories can not be forgeries then you will begin to understand what the disciples saw in Jesus. Jesus was the living embodiment of the jewish scriptures. Everything in the OT pointed to Him and was fulfilled in Him.

It was this understanding and the resurrection that gave them the power to go out and change the world.
nickelig
Newbie Member

Post by nickelig »

thank you, j316. that's a very insightful post. along those lines, it looks like i'll have to be prepared to show that the old testament was in fact written in the BC, explain some of the prophecies of Jesus, and give an overview of portions of the Bible that reveal its brilliance and impeccable unity and how everything ties in.